Clinical Nutrition

for Chronic Illness

"My focus, my goal, is health and healing. Most chronic illnesses have no cure, that is why they are chronic, but I strongly believe that we can work to improve our health and heal our bodies. Nutrition is one of the ways of doing this. My own personal experience with nutrition and functional medicine as a therapy has been profound and now I want to help others. Living with a chronic illness is a long, hard road and often people think there is no help out there, but I am here to say there is, you just have to find it and be willing to put in the work."





What is Nutritional Therapy?

Nutritional Therapy is the application of nutrition science in the promotion of optimal health. Registered Nutritional Therapists use a wide range of tools and knowledge to assess nutritional imbalances and understand how these may contribute to an individual's symptoms and health concerns. This allows the practitioner to work with individuals to help support the body towards maintaining, or optimising, health. Nutritional Therapy is a recognised complementary medicine and is relevant for individuals with chronic conditions, those looking for preventative medicine, as well as those looking for support to enhance their health and wellbeing.

Practitioners consider each individual to be unique and recommend personalised nutrition and lifestyle programmes rather than a one size fits all approach. No fad diets are used, only evidence based science to create a programme that works individually for each person.

Nutritional Therapist, Nutritionist & Dietitian

The confusion around the titles.

In order to be a Registered Nutritional Therapy Practitioner, or the shortened name of Registered Nutritional Therapist, you must complete a three year degree course AND complete personalised clinical training to allow you to practice in private clinic 1:1. This course should be a BANT (British Association for Nutrition and Lifestyle Medicine) recognised course, and the practitioner will have the post nominals MBANT (or BANT) and CNHC. No one else should call themselves a Nutritional Therapist. The CNHC is overseen by the Professional Standards Authority for Health and Social Care, who also oversee the General Medical Council, who regulate medical professionals. NTs must have full professional indemnity insurance and GPs are advised to refer patients to a CNHC Registered Practitioner. 

All my private clinic work is carried out as a Registered Nutritional Therapist, MBANT CNHC. 

To be a Registered Nutritionist you need to complete a three year degree course in nutritional science, which ought to be recognised by either BANT, or AfN. You will have the post nominals MBANT, ANutr, or RNutr. No one else is a qualified nutritionist, however many will call themselves such. A nutritionist course does not include clinical training for private clinic, however it covers nutrition work outside of this, such as giving nutritional advice via e-books, media, corporate or public health work. 

All my work outside of private clinic is carried out as a Registered Nutritionist, MBANT

Dietitian is a protected title used for hospital based work, they will usually work for the NHS. They are trained by a three year degree course and trained in clinical practice. Their clinical practice is focused on a hospital setting. They are trained to provide diet protocols for a specific disease or post surgery, rather than personalised programmes. They are highly skilled in the hospital setting and this is where you would be likely to come into contact with them. They are regulated by the HCPC, which like NTs CNHC is overseen by the PSA, and their body is the BDA (British Dietetic Association). Only Dietitians and Registered Nutritional Therapists are trained in clinical practice and to give one-to-one advice. Both groups must practice with full professional indemnity insurance.

*Nutritional Therapy is a complementary medicine and is not a replacement for medical advice. 

*I am happy to work with any medical professionals you are currently under.

*This information applies to the UK, titles may be different in different countries.